Activated charcoal is the new detox trend because it binds to toxins and chemicals, allows for quicker elimination, and helps to prevent their absorption in your body. Basically, it binds to things that no longer serve you and helps to flush them out so that they aren't reabsorbed into your body. Here's a list of a few of the things that it's good for:
1. Helps prevent hangovers (!!)
2. Alleviates gas and bloating
3. Traps pesticides, toxins, and other chemicals and flushes them out
4. Cleanses your digestive tract
6. Reduces high cholesterol
IMPORTANT: I don't recommend drinking this every day as activated charcoal tends to be very strong and is binding to more than just the bad stuff. Allow your body to naturally go through its filtration process and add activated charcoal as support when you want a major detox day or before a big night out
MANY juice shops have a form of charcoal lemonade for purchase, but that tends to be the more expensive route. This recipe will cost you a fraction of the price and makes 6 servings.
CHARCOAL LEMONADE RECIPE:
Makes 6 servings, adjust as needed
5 cups water
1/2 cup organic maple syrup
3/4 cup lemon juice
5 capsules of activated charcoal (They sell activated charcoal at sprouts and whole foods or you can buy some on amazon here)
1. Squeeze lemons to make 3/4 cup of fresh lemon juice
2. In a large pitcher: mix water, maple syrup, and lemon juice
3. Gently squeeze the ends of the activated charcoal capsules and twist to pour the powder into the pitcher (Be careful with this step! Charcoal can stain)
4. Mix well
5. Put the pitcher in the fridge for a couple of hours until cold and serve!
This will last in your fridge for 5-6 days
LIKE WHAT YOU SEE?
More great recipes, tips, and tricks are in my E-book: